The long-sought holy grail for those who use a laptop and phone is a seamless transfer between the two for anyone who does not want to stop doing what they do on one screen to do something else on the smaller screen. Now Microsoft is helping to close the gap by allowing you to make calls from your PC. You can also send calls directly to voicemail.
The new feature calledis part of the Your Phone app. You must download the app before you can start and ensure that your computer is connected to your phone via Bluetooth. You must also ensure that your Android phone is on version 7 of the operating system or newer (for reference, Android 1
Microsoft is the newest technology company that it is easier to use your phone from your computer. Apple hasthat allows you to transfer documents, photos & phone calls between your Apple devices. With Samsung you can mirror content between its mobile devices and MacOS and Windows. Even Google lets you use the app in a browser on Macs and PCs.
Here's how to start.
How to set up the Your Phone app and pair your phone and your PC
To connect Windows 10 to your Android phone, start with the Your Phone app from Windows 10.
1. In Windows 10, open the Your Phone app, right-click Android and then tap Continue .
2. Enter your mobile phone number and tap Send to send Microsoft a link that you use to connect your Android phone to your PC.
3. On your Android device, open the text message and tap the message link that takes you to the app page in Google Play.
4. After it is installed, tap Install and then tap Open (or search for your Phone Companion app on your Android home screen and tap to open).
5. Enter your Microsoft account information in the app and tap Log in .
6. In the next window, tap Continue and then tap Allow if you want to allow the app to access your contacts, phone calls manage files on the phone and send and view text messages.
7. Then tap Continue and then Allow if you want the app to run in the background.
8. Finally, tap Allow to allow your Android device to connect to your PC, then tap Continue and tap finally on Ready .
9. In Windows 10 under Phone Call Settings, you may also need to authorize the Your Phone app to make a call.
Browse your Android photos & messages on your Windows 10 PC
With your phone app you can manage your photos & view and send messages from your phone.
1. In Windows 10, open the Your Phone app.
2 . In the left pane, tap Photos & Messages, Messages, or Notifications to manage those items from your phone. If you see nothing, tap Refresh to download photos and messages.
How to make and receive Android phone calls on Windows
With everything set up, you can now start handling your Android phone tasks on your PC using your phone.
1. On your telephone, in the left pane, tap Call .
2. To make a call, search for contacts or use the dialer.
3. When a call comes in, a dialog box appears with which you can accept or reject a call or send a message instead of answering. .
Originally published last year. Updated to include that there are no beta tests.